Pages


Sunday, July 4, 2010

Oh Canada...Part 2


I was beginning to think that I'd made a dreadful mistake...that the change was too much, too big. I'm very logical when it comes to seeing the big picture and I don't believe in coincidences. It is not by coincidence that I'm writing this now. It is a fated pre-ordained decision made not by me but by events that intertwine and direct me along the path I should be taking. The meaning of life cannot be found by taking the path of least resistance, nor can it be found by giving up or letting go of those things that shape you.
It's simple math that given any sequence of events a part of your life will change and shape who you are. I was NOT able to take the path of least resistance as there simply wasn't one to take.
So I found a job working at the Malahat Mountain Inn where I made some great friends who are still friends now. I had my first crush (and not my last) on a server who it turns out got me my next job in Sidney working as a server myself.
I made my first best friend in my next job working as the pub manager of the Honey Pot Pub in Honeymoon Bay. Her kindness and loyalty fills me with an incredible sense of belonging. I hadn't felt that way in almost 10 years. She is truly an amazing human being and her positivity and grace knows no bounds. Any time I go to see her I feel like her house is my house and I'm completely at ease. I'm not sure she knows how amazing she is so Donna, if you're reading this, you're just an angel.
Things started to fall into place after meeting Donna. I started working for a great grocery store. It's not that the grocery store is great or the corporate bigwigs have any ideology that I agree with. It's the people who work for the grocery store. I started in my local store at entry level (cashier). The people that work for the company are amazing. Compassionate, friendly, sincere and for the most part very intelligent people.
So to any of you shoppers out there that think people that work in a grocery store are beneath you...you might want to think that through again and be more polite to them next time. They are probably smarter than you, infact I KNOW many of them are smarter than you with educational degrees and more life experience than you could ever dream of having. These people work tirelessly through very long days and very stressful situations for low pay and still there is a collective thought to ensure that customer service is the number one priority.
That's one of the many many many things I love about living in Canada. Not only are people empowered by their surroundings and communities they are willing to trust outsiders without any questions of where they come from and who they are. I love the free thinking attitudes of this relatively new country and it is inspiring to think that I will play a role in the history of the country no matter how big or small that role may be.
So Canada is the place in my dreams and the people I have met along the way have helped to shape who I am right now. Thinking back on the past, well it reminds me of why the past plagues us. It is simply to remind us of what we have been through and how strong we can be when we need to. I have learnt from my mistakes, and I have made several (thousand) of them and it is an important learning curve.
Thanks Canada, and thanks to the people that live here for giving me a chance...You rock!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nat, keep on blogging. You are an amazing person. To come to a country completely alone and make a place for yourself is truly extraordinary. Everyone you meet falls completely in love with you because of who you are. Your sense of humor is quick and unlike anyone I have known, you have one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard, and you are the nicest person that anyone could ever hope to meet.
    You are a wonderful person and don't ever forget it.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nat! Love your blog! You're amazing and it took a lot of courage to come here with no saftey net to fall back on. Canada is a brighter place with you in it!

    Cheers!
    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you guys! You are the most incredible human beings...so gracious and giving and I just can't wait to hang with you more. You wouldn't believe the attitude difference across the ocean...it's a world away and you can most certainly be soooo very proud to be called Canadian because I know what that means....you brought me to tears with your comments, thank you xxxxx all my love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete